Skip to content 🏠 » Essays » Essay on An Unforgettable Childhood Incident

Essay on An Unforgettable Childhood Incident

image_pdfGenerate PDF

I was about four or five years old at that time. My family lived in a wooden house bordering a coconut plantation. The coconut trees loomed tall and straight. Many animals and insects could be found scurrying up and down the trunks.

Occasionally we could see flying lizards gliding from tree to tree.

Sometimes the older coconut trees would collapse whenever there was a storm. it was with one of these fallen trees, that I had a most unforgettable and painful experience.

My brothers, sisters and I were playing near the trunk of a tree that had fallen the previous day. As young children, we were very curious and wanted to have a closer look at it. I was more inquisitive than them, and also more foolish. I climbed onto the trunk and started to walk along with it. It was fun and I had to show off how well could keep my balance.

The tree trunk was not totally straight. It inclined upwards to near the fronds. Bravely I walked up along the inclination. I felt very confident and sure. Higher and higher I walked. By then I was so cocksure of my ability that I started to shake the trunk with my feet. That was my undoing for the next moment I lost my balance and down I fell with a thud onto the ground.

I felt excruciating pain and could ‘not get up. I cried out, my elder brother tried to lift, me but he was not strong enough. So, one of my sisters ran home and fetched my father. My father came hurriedly and carried me back to the house,

He put me down on the sofa. I was still in great in and I could not move my left arm. My mother came and examined me. She said my elbow was dislocated and told my father to take me to the hospital at once.

Quickly my father reversed out the family car, bundled me into it and drove quickly to the hospital. My mother could not come for she had to look after my brothers and sisters. What anxiety she must have felt.

Nevertheless, we reached the hospital in double quick time and I was attended to by a doctor in the emergency room. He carefully manipulated my arm and finally put the elbow joint back into place again. All the time I was in a sort of a daze as the paint-was really terrible even after the doctor gave me a jab to lessen it.

I had to stay in the hospital for a couple of days for the injury to heal a bit. Fortunately, there were no bones broken. So, after two days I left the hospital and was greeted happily by my family. What an unforgettable but painful experience it had been. I learned not to repeat the foolish climbing act

Similar Posts: